How to make sparkling water
There are four main ways to make sparkling water at home;
- Use of in modelfor carbonated water.
- Use the Sodaval.
- By using the DIY Carbonation Set-Up where you somehow have to make your own device.
- Use of household ingredients
1- Bubble water manufacturers
The soda water generator is a special equipment purchased for the production of soda water.
In my opinion, is today the safest and most common method to produce sparkling water in ahouse.
How does a soda water filter work?
The first thing you need to know is that most of these devices work with CO2 tanks.
The CO2 reservoirs are what the CO2 gas contains, which is then added to the water to make it gaseous.
The tanks are usually screwed to the back of the SodaStream.
I have to point out that at SodaStream and most other carbonated water producers you have to replace the CO2 tanks when they are empty to refill them.
With the exception of Good O, which uses CO2 tablets, and the soda siphon, which uses CO2 cartridges, I will discuss these two devices in more detail later in this article.
These tanks can last for months or even years if they are not used often.
Now, when the CO2 tanks are empty, all you have to do is pay the cost of the CO2 gasyourself.
There are many devices on the market that produce soda, but I strongly recommend the SodaStream Jet.
Why I recommend the SodaStream Jet;
- I’ve been using my SodaStream Jet for almost four years now and it still works as if I bought it yesterday.
- This can use both 60 litre tanks and 130 litre tanks with a capacity ofs. The 130-litre tank is much larger and lasts longer than a small 60-litre tank.
- Jet aeroplane is one of the most widely sold carbonation apparatus for soda streams or fireplaces,
- So it’s been tested in tens of thousands of houses.
- Very easy to use, with simple design.
- does not require electricity, so your electricity bill does not run, and
- More importantly, it would not pose a threat to electricity.
How do I install a SodaStream Jet?
To use the SodaStream Jet, you need two things;
- the current SodaStream machine, and
- SodaStream CO2 tank
Now, setting up SodaStream Jet is very simple, no special skills or equipment are required, everything is already prepared.
- First you need to remove the plastic carbonation bottle from the front of the SodaStream.
- This is done by pressing the toggle lever on the front of the SodaStream and unscrewing the bottle.
- Make sure the washes the soda bottle.
- Continue by removing the back of the SodaStream.
- Now screw the CO2 tank into the back of SodaStream by hand,
- I mean, you put the blanket on and you can walk most of the time.
How do I use SodaStream?
- First pour water into the soft drink bottle and fill it only up to the line indicated on the bottle,
- Then press the rocker arm so that you can screw the charcoal bottle onto the soda jet.
- Now, after making sure the bottle is securely attached, press the button on top of the SodaStream until you hear a loud rumbling sound.
- Press the button repeatedly until you hear ahum at least three times.
- Keep the button pressed for extra sparkling water.
- Finally, you have to press the rocker arm and then unscrew the bottle and use the homemade sparkling water.
Here you will find this short and very good video about the use and adaptation of SodaStream.
Benefits of using SodaStream
Very safe to use
When preparing sparkling water, it is important to remember that you are dealing with high-pressure gases, which can be very dangerous if used incorrectly.
All commercially available SodaStream products and manufacturers of effervescent water must be tested and verified by the Federal Government to ensure that they are safe for home use.
You will lose this security check if you plan to use the home carbonation kit to produce carbonated water.
I’ve heard terrible stories about people trying to make their own sparkling plumber and how terrible things happen – from explosions to gas leaks.
If you are not used to using CO2 tanks or if you are very handyman, consider SodaStream or other brands of household appliances.
Easy to set up and use
SodaStreams are designed to be very user friendly and require no special tools or skills to use them.
And if you have problems, and I doubt it, there’s a lot of information on the Internet.
Available for the price of
SodaStream devices are cheap in my opinion and, more importantly, they deliver the performance they promise.
An important point here is that many people say that SodaStream’s sparkling water is generally not sufficiently carbonated, and I agree that if you follow the three recommended presses, it is not sufficiently carbonated; I usually add two extra presses to make my water extra carbonated.
Good customer service
It depends on the brand of the effervescent water manufacturer.
What I can say is that SodaStream has done me a very good service over the years.
I remember how easy it was to use their website and find a place where I could have my CO2 tanks replaced, all I had to do was enter my zip code.
You won’t be alone with your SodaStream with millions of units sold each year, you’ll almost certainly find it at a colleague or a close friend’s home.
Its distribution is such that tons of recipes, piracy and information are available online.
Other methods for the treatment of carbonated water, such as the use of the do-it-yourself carbonation set, do not meet the highest health standards.
Most do-it-yourself equipment uses CO2 tanks that are made for paintball and not for making drinks.
All SodaStream products have been tested by the federal government for personal safety, which I cannot say for the do-it-yourself carbonation kit.
I’ve had my SodaStream Jet for almost four years now, and in that time I’ve never had to repair or maintain it.
Make sure the SodaStream is clean and dry after use.
Does not take up too much space
SodaStreams are generally very small and compact, they don’t take up a lot of space, fit comfortably on the counter and fit perfectly into other devices.
The fact that they are so small means that they are very easy to transport.
Most SodaStreams do not use electricity or batteries,
They are fully powered by their CO2 tanks.
This means that you have no influence on your electricity bill at the end of the month.
Disadvantages of SodaStream
Finding CO2 exchange tanks in your area can be a real headache. It depends entirely on your location in zone.
I advise you to click here on the SodaStream website, fill in your address and find a clearing house near you.
If you use SodaStream very frequently, the refill costs will be added.
For me, this is the biggest problem with SodaStream machines.
SodaStream’s main revenue comes not from the actual sale of its SodaStream machines, but from the sale of its CO2 tanks.
It is therefore important to note that if you and your family are planning to produce a lot of carbonated water, the cost of replacing CO2 tanks will accumulate over time.
SodaStream limits its equipment to aerated water, not other liquids.
You can use it to carbonate other liquids such as juices and iced tea, you only lose the warranty.
(By the way, iced tea is very good when it’s carbonated).
Carbonation of other liquids is not easy, so be careful when trying, avoid cellulose or solids in liquids. You can read my article on how to carbonate almost every drink with SodaStream.
The warranty on my SodaStream is long over, so I used it to barely burn anything, another great soda to try the Kool-Aid carbonated, my two boys love it.
SodaStreams a little strong
This is perfectly normal, the noise is caused by the gases released from the CO2 tank into the water.
Where can I buy aSodaStream?
SodaStream equipment can be purchased from Walmart, Costco and other major retailers.
What I discovered is that on Amazon, you usually get a very good price.
Where I bought mine, you can click here to see the current price of the Amazon SodaStream Jet.
Once you have purchased SodaStream, you should consider buying a double pack of CO2 tanks, i.e. you will receive two tanks in one pack. I found a lot of things on Amazon, click here to see the current price.
Buying two CO2 tanks is simply much more convenient than buying just one, because you have much more time before you have to replace the tanks.
Tipsfor the use of SodaStream and other carbonated water manufacturers.
- Make sure that the water is cooled down until carbonation occurs.
- Chilled water is better carbonated than water at room temperature. The colder the better.
- If you think you are going to drink a lot of sparkling water and possibly an ever-changing CO2 tank, you should consider buying a much larger 130 litre CO2 tank, click here to see Amazon’s current price.
- Water with a high chlorine content is not a good sparkling water, I always filter my water before I make it carbonated.
General questions about SodaStream equipment.
Below are some links to articles that will help you better understand SodaStream machines.
Where can I get a SodaStream filling and how much does it cost?
What is the shelf life of SodaStream bottles?
Can you refill the juice in the SodaStream?
How do you know if your SodaStream is empty?
How do you clean a machine and a SodaStream bottle?
Manufacturer of carbonated water other than soda ash.
If for some reason you don’t want to buy a SodaStream brand, Drinkmate is a good alternative.
I only used it a few times when I was visiting my boyfriend. I can tell you that the design and functionality is very similar to the SodaStream product.
It has the great advantage over SodaStream that it is designed and sold in such a way that it can carbonize almost any liquid.
From Kool-Aid to orange juice, it’s the limit.
You can read my article about the 8 best SodaStream alternatives to learn more about Drinkmate.
I have never used this product, this description is based solely on my internet research.
I included it in this article because I really liked the product and the technology, so I wanted to share it with you.
The Bonne Option unit is manufactured by a Canadian company trying to implement a new method of carbonated water without using pressurised CO2 bottles.
Instead he uses carbonate tablets, and don’t worry, the tablets are not put directly into the water.
This should eliminate all the hassle of supplying CO2-filled tanks, which are expensive to purchase and replace.
You can read more about Bonne O in my article How to make carbonated water without CO2 tanks.
Soda siphons are another type of gasification plant that are an excellent way to treat carbonated water without having to use large CO2 tanks.
They are smaller than carbonate units and they use CO2 cartridges for carbonated water.
You can read more about this in my article How to carbonize water without CO2 tanks.
Other means of producing carbonated water
These methods are mainly of a domestic nature.
I must warn you that these methods are not regulated by the government and involve risks.
Add dry ice:
You can carbonate the water by adding dry ice, because dry ice is usually frozen CO2 gas.
Make your own carbonator unit:
This requires the use of a CO2 reservoir and a high initial investment, but is cheaper in the long run.
Application of the vinegar and bicarbonate of soda ash method:
This is more of a scientific project, but it will allow us to work on the carbonation of water.
If you want to know more about these methods, you can read my article on how to produce sparkling water without a machine.
How to make sparkling water
What is sparkling water
Carbonated water is ordinary water in which carbon dioxide (CO2) is dissolved.
The same CO2 in the air that we hope is alive and is currently being inhaled and exhaled.
CO2 gas also causes bubbles and this foaming effect.
Other names for effervescent water
Soda water can also be called seltzer or soda water or, as it is technically preferable, carbonated water.
Carbonated water, at least in this article, does not apply to Sode, Club Sode, mineral water or tonic.
They are distinguished by the fact that they contain additives such as minerals and other ingredients.
Hot water is, at least in this article , only water containing dissolved CO2.
The good thing is that once you’ve made sparkling water, you can add any ingredient you want.
Why you want to make soda water at home.
I wanted to give you a reason why you want to make soda water at home.
1- Be healthier
Making sparkling water at home will help to get rid of the dependency on the sweet lemonade bought in the store.
My two sons are good examples, because we have our own soda water manufacturer SodaStream, they now drink a lot more water and a lot less soda water.
These eight points per day get
On average, people who produce sparkling water at home drink 43% more water. More water = more health and happiness.
I can tell you that my wife and I have been drinking a lot more water since we got the SodaStream.
2- Saving money
If you already like the sparkling water you buy in the shop, you tend to make your own soda water cheaper and more convenient.
If you use the SodaStream, it can cost you 0.25 cents per litre of soda water, much less than most soda water sold in stores.
How carbonated water is produced on a commercial scale
If you’re interested in making a sparkling water bottle.
The basic principle of dissolving CO2 in water to make it gaseous remains unchanged. only on a much larger scale.
Steps of water carbonation
- The first step is to treat and purify the water to make it safe for consumption.
- In , the cleaning process normally includes
- Coagulation, are chemicals added to water to allow all particles to bond together.
- Filtering This operation is performed using a sand filter to remove accumulated deposits.
- Sterilisation is the removal of all bacteria, mainly by chlorine.
- The last step in the purification process is the dechlorination of the water by means of activated carbon filters.
- Now that the water has been purified, carbonated CO2 can be added.
- But before CO2 is added, the water has to be cooled, because CO2 dissolves much better in cold water.
- As soon as the water has cooled down, the CO2 gas from the industrial tanks is brought into the water and thus gassed.
- In the final phase, the effervescent water is bottled and sealed.
The production process of carbonated mineral water, i.e. water carbonised with minerals, is slightly different.
This is because compounds such as sodium have to be added to water or stored in water.
soda stream,carbonated water dry ice
Disclosure: We are a professional review company & our reviews are not biased towards any of the products we review. We test each product thoroughly and give marks to only the very best that is given by our author. We are very independently owned & the opinions expressed here are our own. However, if you purchase anything after clicking the links present in the articles then we get some commissions for it which help maintaining the websites expenses like servers, security etc.